Monday, August 8, 2011

Silver Girl

We are back from Key West!  I'll post a few pics later.  I've never done that much walking on a vacation before (well, besides New York City...but that's to be expected.  This was a surprise!)  Just to get breakfast we had about a 2 mile walk-haha!  Good thing we are fit people, otherwise we wouldn't have survived!


 Anywho, I finished Silver Girl a couple of weeks ago.  Even though school hasn't started back yet, stuff relating to school and getting the school year started has taken over (homecoming is right around the corner folks and we knocked out freshman orientation today).  Sooo...about the book.  Not one of my favorites that she's written.  It was good, but not good in the same way her books usually are.  I felt like this one lacked relationships between characters and the reader didn't get to really form a relationship with the characters.  It's like they were all still very mysterious by the time the book was finished...not really developed at all.  You had a few back stories here and there, but nothing substantial.  It centered around the scandal of one woman's husband and the re-kindled friendship of two childhood friends in a time of need (on both parts...one is widowed fairly recently and the other is caught in the middle of a huge financial scandal).  If you are a financial junkie, you will probably get more joy from the Wall Street jargon than anything else.  It's based on the Madoff case (I think I have the name right...) and the wife.  Kind of makes you wonder what's going on behind the closed doors of the financial world right now...whether it's NYC, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Charlotte (you should be proud MC that I remember it's a major financial place!)...where ever!  I meant to start a new book in Key West, but I didn't actually have time to.  Hopefully I can get it read before school starts and I'm in overdrive for 6 weeks before everything falls back into place for a new school year.  I'm teaching 4 Anatomy classes and 1 medical terminology class this year (and of course, Leadership)...so I will still have some wading to do this year.  Thank goodness I've consistently taught Anatomy, but every year there is a little curveball.  I will take the medical terminology surprise over last year's Chemistry surprise any day! 

No comments: