Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Photo Caption

I can't believe what some people will put as captions for their photos on facebook. We aren't talking about scandalous drunken nights or inappropriate pictures with random guys/girls. No, we are talking about pure snobbery. Even worse, it's snobbery over things that are nothing to be snobby about from people who are no better than us regular folks. So, here are the details....

I was looking through facebook newly added/updated pictures not too long ago, and opened an album to find gifts this girl had gotten for her birthday. She got Coach sunglasses, Coach shoes, and a Coach wristlet. I'm not a number 1 Coach fan like so many are (I like it, but it's not my favorite nor is it my dream label), but I just flipped through kind of passively.....however, something caught my eye on one of her many show-off Coach items (okay, is it really necessary to post a picture of every single Coach item you own....really?). It was a caption. An insanely snobby caption that completely made me re-think my opinion of this girl. Under one of her many Coach items was the statement: "Always Coach. Only Coach. Because I can afford it." It definitely qualified for a silent OMG. My first thought was: "Who does this girl think she is? She doesn't come from a multi-millionaire family, but she seems to be trying to put on the act to. Someone who actually is filthy rich would never make such a hoopla about such things." My second thought was : "It's Coach. Come on, Coach. Seriously? Seriously. It's not Prada or Burberry or an Hermes Birkin bag or another high end couture bag. Gah." Don't get me wrong, I think Coach is nice....but it's not quite the status symbol she's making it out to be. Even if it were a huge, leather Prada tote bag she was showing off, nothing calls for a caption like that one.....nothing. Maybe I'm just being hyper-critical, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

No comments: