Monday, July 6, 2009

Think Before You Snap and Post

All the 4th of July pictures popping up on facebook are bringing me back to what I always say about the pictures some people (err....mostly girls...) post....think long and hard about posting that picture! It doesn't take too much common sense to not post pictures (or even take the pictures) of yourself purposely in compromising positions....ya know, barely any clothes, hanging off of guys, obviously drunk, with a drink in your hand. I know it sounds all judgey (I don't think it's a word....but you get it), but some pictures posted on facebook are making me rethink my opinions of some people...I don't want to do this b/c I like the nice and rosy opinion I have of them (I always thought they were nice, upstanding, moral people and now I see what they are proud enough to post I am changing my mind). Not only these drunken pictures where they look particularly "loose" (if you get me....), but also pictures taken and posted immitating those with various disabilities (this is the most P.C. and diplomatic wording I can use without actually saying it and sounding harsh) while obviously making fun of those is really making me think about what type of people they are. There is no excuse, so I don't want to hear "ohhh it's b/c they were with so-and-so" or "they were drunk" or any other flake of an excuse....if so-and-so jumped off a cliff, would they do it too just b/c so-and-so did it? You are an adult (I count the 16 year olds here too....if you are 16, you know what could get you in trouble, or at least I hope their parents have taught them and set an example of responsible public behavior), so you should be able to think for yourself and recognize that posing like that and posting it isn't the brightest idea. For some, those pictures are a first impression....and what does that picture say about you? Those pictures say things to me like: "how insensitive", "wow, I thought he/she had better sense than that", "if that's how he/she behaves, I don't want them involved in anything professional with my name attached", "if I ever need a lawyer/accountant/doctor, etc. I know who NOT to call....", and several other things. Aaaannndddd hello, don't post self-incriminating pictures....i.e. if you are 17 and drunk, don't confirm it with a drink in your hand (I have heard of cops seeing these types of pics, recognizing the location, and hanging around there just waiting for the next party to start to clean up the problem...).....if you are dating one person, don't post pics of yourself making out with someone else....etc. Alrighty, I'm stepping off my soap box now....happy Monday! =)

No comments: