Saturday, July 4, 2009

Time for Change

I've been considering this change for close to 9 months. It's a huge decision....I considered it in college, but decided against such a drastic change and deviation from my norm. Changing from what you grew up with is always hard and major, but I'm thrilled! The final decision came after input from a very good friend and her claim that it has been a good thing for the past few years (she has had several and just bought a new one for her apartment recently). She took the plunge at the start of college, something I couldn't do. After recent events and careful thought, the decision has been made and the new plan will be put in place (literally) in the next 4-7 days. What's the change? Weeelllll.....we are no longer comforter people....we are QUILT people! I wanted one in college, but I was used to a comforter so I couldn't bring myself to change. I decided a quilt will be easier to wash and have a more traditional look, and I just love quilts in general. Shawn agreed that we should give it a try, and luckily there are tons of white sales going on. I had to order it online (unfortunately) because, of course, when Meghan and I went to look the one I wanted didn't have any accessories to go with it (I wasn't about to buy a quilt without being certain I could easily get matching shams, skirt, and decorative pillows). Luckily I waited because the quilt I wanted was no longer available online, so I had to pick a new one. I love plain patchwork, but I couldn't go with that b/c it only seems appropriate for a beach cottage-not tropical, but more like South Carolina coast (and I don't want to think about how much I wish I were in a beach cottage everytime I look at my bed). So, I went with one kinda patch-workish, but also not. So many are too dark (dark blues and dark red and dark greens) for our house and others are too feminine (lights pinks and light yellows and light blue floral) and I'm nice enough to not force Shawn to have such feminine bedding. I've always liked bright (but not blinding), light (but not boring), and airy bedroom decor. I think what I've picked falls along these lines.... here it is! I'm also still on the hunt for an old woodframe window or 2 (particularly the size that used to be in the hayloft area of barns) to hang on my bedroom wall and maybe one in the hall. I've found a few, but they have been too big. It sounds nuts, but I promise it will look really cool once I get them in place. I have a mirror that looks like an old woodframe window (not super authentic looking, but the general idea) and I love it! I think there are some at the farm, but neither my dad or I have had a chance to look. There is also a really cool stain treatment you can give them using SOS pads soaked in vinegar overnight (it looks antique and rustic, but still light)....highly concentrated tea works too (brand new lace soaked in tea is really awesome.....fyi). Anywho, have a wonderful (and safe) 4th of July!

1 comment:

The Dimino's said...

Love the new bedding!!! Very cottagy (I know that is not a word but I kinda think it should be) Ha!!! Hope you have a happy and safe 4th too!!!