Sometimes it's non-existent and sometimes it has to be done in ridiculous ways. Apparently, talking is sometimes just not enough. Verbally telling students to follow rules, get to work, get quiet, etc. doesn't work so well 95% of the time. My theory is that they are so consumed with "texted" communication they can only take direction by "text". Therefore, in class, sometimes I have to do what I call "teacher text". "Teacher text" is when the kids just won't shut up long enough for me to get two words out or for me to hear myself think and all else has failed, so I open up a blank Word document and start talking to them that way...or "texting" them. Luckily, I have a SmartBoard so I can do this. It's amazing. When one or two see that I've started typing they say "hey look, she's telling us something" (usually the same thing I've already said 6 times but they couldn't get quiet to listen) and they all get quiet, start reading, and doing what they are supposed to. If we are going through a powerpoint for notes I sometimes have to close the powerpoint and start "teacher texting", but they are usually pretty focused on "notes days"...they know it's new and they will be quizzed the next day or day after (other stuff is usually lab, reinforcement, or review). My seniors don't differ at all from my freshmen in this area, but most days I wish they did. Don't get me wrong, I have an overall really great group of kids (seniors & freshmen), but some days I feel like I have a super chatty bunch of overgrown 6th graders. One thing is for sure, they are always entertaining!
No comments:
Post a Comment