Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weightroom Manners

The Rec at A&M was not only a nicer facility than anything around here, but also people knew how to share the weightroom.  It was generally crowded no matter when you went....close to 40,000 students and faculty and one rec center will tend to get a little crowded, but we made it work.  A little practice called "working-in" made it possible.  Why can't people do that here?  And they look at me like I'm nuts if I offer for someone to "work-in" on whatever I'm using.  I can always tell when someone has been at a larger rec center because they know what I'm talking about and we practice the "work-in" concept.  Someone hogging the weights is a huge pet peeve.  Another pet peeve is that token girl who only goes to the gym to flirt and try to be cute.  Sister, get off the machine I want to use.  You can look like a fool and toss your hair and giggle just as easily standing over there.  Just sitting on the machine or standing in the free weight area isn't going to make you stronger and it doesn't constitute a work-out.  Your giggling, however, may get you many dirty looks and a mental slap in the face.  It's also not cute for you to go on and on loudly about how that 25 pounds is "ohhhh my gosh, like, so frickin heavy I think I'm gonna, like, break or something...right?"  Gah, just workout...it's not a stage where you need to entertain, it's not a fashion show for you to show up in your cutest workout outfit, and if you want to pick up a boyfriend at the gym you probably aren't going to acting like that (which that whole idea is idiotic in the first place...hate to burst your bubble...).

No comments: