Monday, June 27, 2011

Women's World Cup

I'm not the ultimate die-hard soccer fan, but I do enjoy watching soccer...especially when I work out.  It's so incredible how well the athletes can work with their feet!  I love it when someone scores becaues it's such a huge, emotional event for the entire team (you don't have to be a soccer guru to know there's not high scores in soccer, which makes it even better to watch b/c it's so hard to score)!  Anywho, I was watching the England vs. Mexico game this morning in the Women's World Cup while doing the elliptical and got to thinking about how such an amazing event hasn't been more heavily marketed.  They wore the World Cup for men out by mass marketing it to death!  This peeves me a little.  Women's sports are just as intense and competitive (if not more so) as men's sports.  Women play fearlessly...more fearlessly than men.  Men seem to play very strategized and really stick to their plan (it's not bad), but women play sports like they live life-with emotion and make snap decisions (sometimes for the best, sometimes not).  So, why not make a big deal out of the Women's World Cup if their ability is equal to the men's and they play intense and amazing games?  Why not spark a young girl's interest in soccer (or any sport for that matter) when maybe no one at home will by marketing it?  Why not give young girls (all of us) good role models....they have healthy, athletic bodies (not disgustingly, twiggy thin) and in interviews talk about working their hardest and playing for their team?  Why not give these ladies the attention their ability deserves?  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching men's sports also...but women's sports bring something different to the table.  Take some time and watch the games on ESPN or ESPN3 online...USA plays Korea tomorrow at 11:45 am.  Check out all the details of the Women's World Cup in Germany here!  Don't forget it's Wimbledon time too!!

No comments: