Thursday, May 19, 2011

Death by Diet Coke

This shows you just how dangerous kitchen chemistry can be!  I was at a science collaborative meeting at region 7 and someone shared this video with us.  This reminds me of the time a student caught sugar on fire, the time a student caught foil on fire, the time a student caused glassware to explode, the time a student cut into the cat skull and matter went everywhere, the time a student's bubble bomb exploded in their hands b/c they picked it up not thinking it would work....and so on.  We did the diet coke and mentos thing for acid/base reactions, but nothing like this happened (thankfully)!!  Yesterday my kids made ice cream...chemical reaction, change in phase of matter, changed melting point of ice, made a mixture, etc.  Whoever says "science isn't fun and really cool" just needs to change how they do it =)  Watch the video here!!   I couldn't find it on youtube to embed, so I had to link to it from thatvideosite.com, so watch it!!! 

No comments: