Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Something Borrowed


I finished Something Borrowed a few days ago just in time for the movie to come out!  I can already tell from the previews and interviews with the stars this is one book Hollywood butchered!  It's a great book, predictable, but great!  A very smart, successful girl (Rachel) doesn't see herself the way the rest of the world sees her.  She doesn't give herself the credit she deserves, which I think is the case with the majority of women.  Her best friend, Darcy, is the exact opposite.  She thinks she is God's gift to the world and everyone should fall at her feet with lust and love....such a spoiled brat-even as an adult!  Anywho, to make a long story short and try to avoid any spoilers, Darcy is engaged to Dex (Rachel's best friend from law school who she kinda liked, but decided she wasn't pretty enough/good enough for him to ever see in "that way"), but after Rachel's 30th birthday party Dex and Rachel start to have an affair that carries on over the summer.  They are both caught between wanting to do the right thing (end the affair, end other relationships, then re-visit the idea of dating) and not wanting to ruin friendships but stay together secretly.  Obviously, the truth always comes out at some point....it gets ugly, people get hurt, and lives start a new course.  However, there is an interesting twist when the truth comes to the surface, and it almost seems like everyone is on a level playing field in the end.  How it all plays out in the movie is anybody's guess, but the book is great!  I'm not sure what to read next. I haven't come across anything that sounds like a good read.  I have Wideacre  on my shelf that hasn't been read (by Philippa Gregory).  I'm not a huge fan of her books, but for lack of better things maybe I will give it a whirl. 

No comments: