I will be the first to tell you that I watch Jon & Kate +8 mostly because Kate annoys me and I can't stand Mady. However, I think Kate deserves to be defended for her actions in the latest media attack. She was photographed spanking one of her kids.....not beating, spanking. Maybe if more parents would learn to say "no" or give a little spanking these days elementary schools wouldn't be overrun with out of control kids. You can't expect a teacher to do the discipline....hello, you (the parents) are the ones who complain the second any disciplinary action is taken at school (nevermind that your child caused severe bodily harm to another child over something as simple as not wanting to wait in line on the playground....all that matters is that your angel never could have done that and didn't deserve to sit in time-out.....tell that other kid who had to get stitches because of your kid's actions to toughen up, right? Whatever.). Teachers only have kids 8 hours per day and don't have the same influence/authority you have over your children as parents. If there is no discipline at home the kids see disciplinary action at school as meaningless. Instruction time is lost, special events for kids must be canceled, and everyone suffers. By the time they make it to high school they will end up in an alternative education program within the district b/c they are such a discipline problem and fall behind in classes and struggle to make up lost time. Kate has the right to discipline her kids as she sees fit (as does every other parent). Parents do a disservice to their children by not disciplining them. Unruly children (not typical kid stuff...but not understanding "no" and that there are consequences for breaking rules) turn into unruly teenagers who turn into unruly adults. Ploiceman aren't required to wear kid gloves like teachers, and they will do more than say "don't do that again" to protect the citizens of the community. Discipline doesn't mean physical or verbal abuse. There should be a bumper sticker series...."Discipline a child, save a teacher's sanity" "20 children succeeded academically because you disciplined your child" "School district saves money! Alternative center closing! Thanks for the discipline at home!" Now don't throw developmental and learning disabled children back at me saying "they don't know any better".... parents need to work with them and teach them how to behave and treat others (these are special circumstances where a teacher has even less control and really needs help from parents). They may have a few more bumps in the road (no kid will be perfect all the time, I know) than kids who aren't challenged with disabilities, but good behavior and recognizing there will be consequences is possible (there are just different methods that need to be used....stickers every few hours to reward good behavior, etc.) My parents disciplined me with spankings, "no", and other consequences that aren't abusive, and I turned out OK. Ugh.
1 comment:
I got so many spankings as a child from my dad!! I also got a few in school!!! I got grounded a lot too!!! I was such a bad child!! Ha!! People now have a hard time believing that I was so bad!! Boy do I have them fooled!! LOL
Post a Comment