I just finished reading
My Sister's Keeper.....such a good book. I've never had so many different emotions while reading a book before (it was actually exhausting to read)...I went from mad to sad to happy to outraged to laughing to crying. I'm not a fan of books that take me on such an emotional rollercoaster especially if I get really attached to the characters. I can honestly say that I don't think I will read another Jodi Picoult book because I really don't know if I could take this again (I've read the summaries and reviews of all her other books and very realistic tragedy and morals and ethics blurring with what's right or wrong seem to be a common thread). I came close to crying in several parts, but I couldn't stop crying in the last 10 pages....my poor dog was trying to lick my face like I was really upset about something, not just what was happening on the pages of my book. If you aren't a reader, you should see the movie. I want to see it, but going to the movies is always easier said than done...chances are I will finally see it when it's out on DVD. I have been resisting reading this book for well over a year because it just didn't seem like I would enjoy it (I thought it would be annoyingly cheesy and sappy and predictable....I was so wrong). I would literally pick it up and read the back and consider buying it everytime I walked past it in Target or bookstores, but two lines in the movie trailer caught my attention (she was created to save her sister and she wanted to sue her parents for the rights to her body) and I decided I
had to read this book. It tackles touchy subjects like stem cell research (it covers issues related to the beneficiary and the victim), designer babies (why? what does it do to the kid? what does it do to he family? ), playing God, what are the wishes of a dying child (not her parent's wishes....HER wishes), and the lengths you sometimes have to go to make your (or someone else's) voice heard.....and sometimes things work out in favor of someone else, but not how anyone had planned with even more baggage to boot. The way it's written allows you to see the viewpoint of everyone from the genetically engineered little girl to the lawyer and guardian ad litem (except the sick child's viewpoint is never given) since every section is told by a different character. It was definitely a heavy read....now I need something light, so I started L.A. Candy last night (by Lauren Conrad...like OMG seriously...haha). I like a wide range....Sylvia Plath to Leo Tolstoy to the Bronte Sisters to Stephenie Meyer to (now) Lauren Conrad. If someone wrote a book involving the craziest chick ever known to literature (besides the yellow wallpaper lady) and a Russian high-life romance with some English Moor romance and a vampire family intertwined with a modern day L.A. socialite-like princess-like chick it would be one heck of a book with hard names to pronounce (just reading the names of characters in books by Russian authors is a feat in itself...agreed?)! Happy Hump Day and Happy Reading!
1 comment:
You know I am not really a book reader but I do want to see that movie!! I love Abigail Breslin and Cameron Diaz
Post a Comment