Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Now and Then

I was thinking earlier about how we spend our summers and what we look forward to changes so drastically between childhood and adulthood, so I made a list (what I do best) to compare and contrast!

Then:
*reading American Girl Magazine/American Girl books under the walnut tree
*swimming at the country club and meeting new kids to play with every time
*working in the garden my dad built for me outside my window
*writing all over the driveway and porches with sidewalk chalk
*playing in the woods with neighborhood kids
*playing on the slip 'n' slide, in the sprinklers, and jumping on a wet trampoline (makes you go sooooo high) with neighborhood kids
*swinging on vines over the creek with neighborhood kids (until one of us broke their leg....)
*jumping on the trampoline for hours (I was a big flipper...mom hated it)
*practicing on the balance beam my dad built for me (mom didn't like that either)
*tumbling all over the back yard
*tap dancing on the back porch (wearing old tap shoes, of course)
*eating dinner outside with my parents while watching fireflies and listening to crickets
*riding bikes with the neighborhood kids
*playing ball with my dad and flying kites with my mom
*eating blue bell rainbow popsicles allllll the time
*spending the night with friends on school nights
*climbing the dogwood as high as possible
*keeping my bedroom window open all the time
*family vacations to Ouray, CO
*school supply shopping at the end of summer (yeah, yeah....pre-k-college....)
*vacuuming my bedroom floor exactly how I wanted it (okay, that one sounds weird, I know....but I had a certain way/attachment I like to be used when vacuuming my floor and my mom wouldn't take the time to do it the way I liked it....I can't justify it very well....)

Now:
*reading books on the back porch
*running/walking in the heat of the day or evening outside
*wearing casual skirts and dresses
*"summer special" sections of magazines (you know...summer fashion, summer make-up, summer fun ideas, etc.)
*flowers (sunflowers, daisies)
*seeing far-away friends
*listening to crickets and watching fireflies
*watching the summer TV shows like So You Think You Can Dance (even though there will be a fall season)
*shopping when I want
*keeping the back door open during the day
*walking Ellie in the evenings
*looking at friends vacation pictures
*finding new stuff to take pictures of
*when the school supply section comes back (it's still cool....)
*warm breezes that smell good
*the HOT HOT HOT weather! (minus the air conditioner running....I honestly think I could make it without air conditioning....no joke.)
*summer storms and heat lightning

There are a few more I can't think of at the moment, but I think you get the idea-haha! Randomly, I saw a movie advertised called I Love You, Beth Cooper that looks pretty good....still counting down until Harry Potter comes out! Aaaaannnnndddddd......Princess Protection Program is on Disney this weekend!!!!!!!! I have been looking forward to that movie for a month now.....you say "loser", but I say "still in touch with my inner Lizzie Maguire-loving Disney kid" (but I guess these days it's all about Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place, which are cool too....but I really like Lizzie Maguire and Even Stevens....).




1 comment:

The Dimino's said...

I know I am so excited about the princess protection program!!! I can't wait!! I love Harry Potter too!! I sooooo could not live without an air conditioner!!! I love the school supply section too!! LOL