Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Girls in Trucks


I just finished Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch yesterday.  It was good, but not what I was expecting at all.  I expected something light and funny (apparently so did others judging from the reviews on barnesandnoble.com).  It follows a group (one more than the others) of South Carolina debutantes through life from the time they are 10 until middle age when they have their own children.  A couple of the girls lead very dark lives, one leads a shallow lie of a life, and one lives a life of insecurities.  They are all self-destructive, but to different degrees.  It echoes the fact that some of us stay friends simply because we grow up together and feel a sense of loyalty to those people....luckily, this hasn't ever been the case with my life and group of friends.  Most of them get their lives back on track, but you just have to read it.  I don't want to give away important details.  In short...4 southern girls, lots of very bad teenage boys, New York City, drugs, rehab, deceitful men, failed friendships turned failed romantic relationships, travel, affairs, tragedy, illness, children of their own, and the cycle starts over.  I started The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand, and so far it's a winner!  I'll let you know how it goes when I finish it. =)

No comments: