Friday, February 4, 2011

Survival?




What do all of these things have in common?  No, these are not the accesories a dedicated soccer mom needs to survive the season.  These things are the necessary equipment for a wilderness vacation adventure I would never survive....or just to camp out in my Texas backyard at the moment (stupid snow, terrible timing...we can talk about it later).  If I have to sleep like a mummy in a tiny tent and wear snow shoes and use a lantern to share a potty with the grizzly bears (or coyotes if I were in my backyard...stupid snow)  in the scary wilderness I would be the next news story for a missing camper!  It's still the wintry vacation season and all I can say is "What are you thinking?!?"  Roughing it for me is spending a week in an RV.  If you are going to do the snow thing, get a nice room in a lodge with a pretty, warm fire and food that doesn't come in freeze-dried form!  Sleeping outside isn't for me in the first place, hot or cold, and it definitely does not fly for me when there is a risk of losing a few fingers and toes.  I can "be one with nature" while sitting by a fire (it's natural) drinking hot tea (herbal....) and reading a book (paper was a tree in nature....).  So, to the adventure seekers out there who have big plans to camp in the snowy mountains  in the near future and who camp outside in the dead of winter around here (in your Texas backyard tonight...stupid snow)....you need your head examined.  =)  Actually, skip the snow even at a fancy lodge...this weather is no fun.  I'm keeping my house as tropical as possible, but it's just not cutting it.  How long until we get above freezing?  At this point, 40* will be a tropical heatwave!  This type of weather is why I'm glad I bought my winter coat based on function rather than fashion...thank goodness for super heavy, zip-in/out fuzzy silken fleece liner North Face jackets. =) 

No comments: