The words no chemistry teacher ever wants to hear while in lab: "It's on fire!" Yep, a kid in one of my chemistry classes managed to start a fire. It was a small one, but still a fire and enough to take about 10 years off my life! I was on the other side of the room when I heard kids saying "It's on fire," so I headed over trying to figure out a plan of action. I really didn't want to use the fire extinguisher...who really does? The kid who started it was able to blow it out, so I guess we dodged a bullet with that one. For the record: cornstarch is flammable...who knew? I made it through all of last year without any fires in the lab, and I wish I could say the same for this year. Of course, last year I taught Biology and Anatomy instead of Chemistry and Anatomy. Too bad I don't actually like Chemistry and just ended up stuck with it this year. Who knows what I'll end up with next year... =/ But anywho, important kitchen safety tip: keep cornstarch away from open flames and don't leave it on a burner for too long =)
No comments:
Post a Comment