Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stephanie the Catcher

I feel like I should write this from the view point of a Stephanie since on the softball roster my name is Stephanie....when they say "Stephanie is in the hole" it's odd to know they are talking about me! When I was little I really loved the name Stephanie (hello, Full House!!!) and wanted it to be mine, but now answering to Stephanie every Tuesday night is strange! Anywho, tonight I played what I consider the most abusive position in the game.....catcher. I walked away from the game with 3 new bruises (one is a huge goose egg on my shin), a scraped up knee (again), a twisted ankle, and very sore traps (from being so tense). Our usual catcher is preggo, so who do they call.....that would be Stephanie (i.e. me). I have this huge fear of being hit in the head with a swinging bat or hit in the face with a perfect pitch (which almost happened tonight). It's co-ed softball, so when a guy comes up to bat I suddenly get very protective of my face and head and all of me really! Catcher also stresses me out b/c if you mess up someone scores! I did get an out tonight...I caught a foul ball (I got the scraped knee and twisted ankle while working for another foul ball), so brownie points for me! When I was younger and ended up at catcher I would be a nervous wreck!! I don't mind playing an infield position, but catcher is just too much! The awkward factor when they told me to play catcher and why ranked way up there...almost as high as when I was changing in the Rec locker room at A&M and the girl with a locker across from mine told me I had nice legs lol! Oh well...at least I didn't get hit in the head =)

No comments: