Friday, May 8, 2009

Youth and Jeans

I was reading the news over at kltv.com and came across an interesting concept. The article was about summer jobs for the youth in the area....13 counties to be exact. However, the closing statement has left me a bit befuddled (yeah, yeah...consider it ironic in a few seconds...). The statement said the program would be helping youths ages 14-24 find jobs. Sooo.....24 is considered a youth? I'm a month and a half out of my youth (since I just turned 25)?? I moved away from home (off and away to the grand College Station followed by Dallas and Houston) as a youth? I graduated from college as a youth? I did graduate course work as a youth? I was married as a youth? I taught adults at kilgore college as a youth? I can see 20 as maybe being considered a youth, but 24.....not so much. I guess now that I am of the ripe old age of 25 I'm suddenly thrust into the winter of my life and should just write "old fuddy duddy" when a form asks for "occcupation". Part of my problem earlier this year was being considered a "youth" at 24 with a college education, teacher certification, and graduate credit to my name. How irritating is it that some people don't consider you worthy in the prime of your life....well, more like ages 23-28....but still, your education and life experiences (yes, at 25 you have meaningful life experiences in your past) are discounted as being "youthful" and meaningless. Guess I should go find me some super high waisted early 90's style "Mom jeans."

Speaking of jeans....why on earth are they so hard to find?!? I feel like I should write a letter to all denim designers starting with something like "Dear Denim Designer, Just so you know....some girls actually have muscular legs and don't starve themselves to fit in with Lindsay Lohan; therefore, please start making jeans for those of us with an athletic build (we work hard to be this way). Simply because some of us don't have toothpicks that are on the verge of snapping for legs does not mean that we have a 42 inch waist (i.e. when your jeans fit my legs, I need to stuff the waist to keep your product propped up on my waist)....." I did find a good pair today, but didn't get them b/c I had to come home and debate whether or not I wanted to take them to a tailor to be hemmed (another issue....some of us have short legs....I'm so sorry your standard 32 inch inseam just doesn't work for my deformed body). They were 7 for all mankind....I'm thinking the hemming is worth it since they fit in the hips and legs and didn't flatten my bubble butt. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to change my body to fit the jeans...I want the companies to wise up and start making jeans for those of us who are healthy and don't strut the runway and later end up in some sort of intensive rehab (in other words, I don't want to try to force myself to look like I'm knocking on death's door). I also like my short legs...I don't want to be tall. Being on the shorter end of the spectrum is much more fun (yeah,yeah...sometimes I say I wish I were tall, but not permanently!). I like my legs and bubble butt, it's the jeans I don't like! And they wonder why so many girls suffer from eating disorders?

No comments: