I babysat my 6 year old nephew today (almost 7, really)...so I guess you could call it kid watching, but that sounds creepy....so we will classify it as "hanging out with a neato kid while providing adult supervision". Anywho, we played a little baseball then headed to the playground area of the park. There were tons of kids (no, really...tons) at the playground from a nearby school district on their end of the year field trip. Understandably, my nephew didn't want to play on the playground with a massive amount of kids he didn't know, so we walked by the creek and over the bridges and looked at dragonflies (I assured him they would most likely be leaving soon since their teachers had them divided up under the trees by class). Once the field trippers left we headed up to the playground, but he got bored quickly. So, me and my brilliance (heavy sarcasm here) headed over to the "seal fountain".....kids are magnetically attracted to water, this I am now sure of. We sat in the shade for maybe 3 minutes before he said he had "a really clean swimsuit at home and he knew exactly where it was....can we go get it?" I said "no"...stupid me....he said "ok" and we sat....and he continued to say how great the water would feel and he really wanted to get in water. (Ok, this is where the sarcastic brilliance comes in...) So, I said "you can run under the water arches and make a game of trying NOT to get wet....so don't get super wet, ok?" He says "OK!!!!!" I knew that was too easy...after 2 passes UNDER the water arches I turn for a second and he's standing infront of the lowest water spout letting it hit him in the face and chest and all smiley and happy. Dilemma....get irritated and say we have to leave (I mean he did agree to play the "don't get wet game", right?) or get the camera and let him keep playing and having fun....so I opted for the second one. I couldn't deny the fun....it's just water. I told him that before we left he had to go hang dry on the monkey bars, which he did-lol. But, of course, he did other stuff than just hang there....he climbed and did the slide and played on the swings....lots of fun for both of us! Watching all those kids play filled me with mixed emotions....wishing I could go back to being free and 6 where my biggest worry is kids I don't know on the playground....and also desperately hoping I get to have kids and watch them play like that someday (so a little happy and a little sad....). Anywho, here are a few pictures of our fun!




1 comment:
Looks like ya'll had a good time!! I probably would have jumped in and got soaking wet too!! HA!!
Post a Comment